Also known as the Low carb high fat diet or low carb diet; Ketogenic Diet is the new trending topic of the fitness world.
What is a ketogenic diet?
Before getting into the regime talk let us understand what Ketogenic diet is all about. A Ketogenic diet is a low carb diet where the body relies on ketones for major energy production in the liver. Consuming meals high in carbohydrates will produce glucose and insulin in your body.
The body prioritizes glucose consumption over any other energy source and so the fats are not utilized in turn storing them as body fat. Consuming meals rich in ketones will trick the body into a Ketosis state. Ketosis is basically a state where the body begins survival when food intake is low. We are not starving our body of calories but of carbohydrates.
Benefits of Ketogenic diet
• Consuming less carbohydrates for your body
• The stored fats will be used when the supply of carbohydrates is low. This in turn leads to weight loss.
• When fats are not stored in your body, you will become healthier and leaner.
• Your body is rescued against diabetes, heart disease and high cholesterol.
• You will feel more energetic and lively
• It even treats epilepsy
Foods you should avoid in a Ketogenic diet
• Avoid grains like wheat, corn, rice and cereal
• Sugar in any form like honey, agave or maple syrup
• Fruits high in sugar content ike apples, bananas, oranges and grapes
• Vegetables like potato, yams, etc
Foods you should consume in a Ketogenic diet
• Leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, etc
• Nuts like almonds and walnuts
• Berries like raspberries, blackberries, etc
• Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, steamed green beans,etc
• Hard cheese and butter.
Tailoring it right!
Always remember that a Ketogenic diet is high in fat, low in carbs and moderate in proteins. So your meals should proportionate like 70% fats, 25% proteins and 5% carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates should not make up more than 20-30 grams of your meals. Fats and Proteins should be consumed together as a filling. If you feel hungry at any point of the day try popping in some nuts.Tailor your Ketogenic diet according to your regime. And always remember there is no easy way for this.