Well girls can really feel the pain of bloating, cramping, headaches and nausea during ‘those’ times of the month. Those irritation sessions, mood swings and pain is all synonyms with ladies. The pain in our uterus is due to the inhibited blood flow to the lining of the uterus due to its abnormal contractions. This is accompanied with abdominal pain, low back pain and leg discomfort.
While you might feel like idle sans energy and don’t want to indulge in physical activity but the truth is that it actually helps in relieving the pain you experience. While most people prefer popping pills but they do not solve the root problem. Other than that eating lot of fruits and veggies, meditation, yoga, relaxation therapies are known to relax the nervous system, relieve low back pain, abdominal aches, leg aches and dissolve your heightened emotions.
Benefits of exercising during periods
• It helps in resolving your mood swings and curing PMS. Your body releases some good chemicals called the endorphins. These when interact with receptors of the brain signals the uterus to reduce the pain. They also trigger a positive feeling similar to that of morphine in your body.
• Exercising helps in releasing menstrual cramps by enhancing the blood circulation. It also relieves stress levels in turn reducing the anxiety level in your body.
• It helps in combating fatigue and headache. It is normal to feel all tired and without energy. It so happens because your blood levels are depreciated not providing your body with enough oxygen. Exercising signals your heart muscles to pump more blood so that your cells receive adequate RBCs. Exercising correlates with enhanced blood circulation.
• Today’s lifestyle is all junk and relaxing. It is common to have irregular periods. Exercising supplemented with a healthy diet helps in getting back your menstrual cycle back on track.
Best exercises to combat your periods
Do not undergo a hard cardio workout or heavy weightlifting during your periods. A simple slow jog or walk across the park is best to relieve you of your pain. Examine your body and then understand the kindof exercise you can complete. Obviously a long run won’t help you if you have particularly strong cramps. Here are some easy and low maintenance exercises you can give a try.
This age of ingredient of exercise is the best to treat your cramps with. Poses like Janu Sirasana, Pasasana, Ustrasana and Supta Padangusthasana are the best to work with. Avoid inverted yoga poses during menstruation as you may hurt your blood vessels of uterus leading to more cramps.
Zumba is an aerobic movements accompanied by dance. The combination of music and dance with exercise helps you to swing your mood during those days.
Doing planks during the menstruation cycle help reduce the pain and cramps. Planking gives strength to our lower abdomen which has the major area of cramps.
Aerobics helps us to maintain the flexibility in our body and reduces the chance of cramps.
• A light cardio workout including dancing, jogging or sex will relax your pain too.
The most important thing to remember is that you should feel at ease during your periods and if exercise will help you in achieving it, just do it. But if there is anything else that you think will help better than this practice it. Because at the end of the day, your body is special and deserves that special care and attention especially during menstruation.