We often hear about various diets – Keto diet, Atkins diet, Vegan diet, South beach diet, The Zone diet etc. Each of them focuses on regulating intake of nutrients like carbs and fats to lose weight, gain weight, lower cholesterol or living a fit healthy life.
Today we’d be talking about a diet that can help you get rid of a fungal infection called Candida.
So what exactly is Candida?
It is a fungus that grows in various parts of our body like mouth, skin, digestive tracts and vagina. It is generally harmless but excess of it can cause infection. People have been bringing up candida diet that is used to reduce the symptoms of infection like:
- Constipation or stomach bloating
- Skin rashes
- Repeated urinary tract infections
- Irritation and joint pain
There are more than 150 species of Candida living in our body. It helps from digestion to nutrient absorption from food. Despite such a large number, only 15 affects human body. Especially Candida albicans.
About Candida diet:
This diet is possibly a treatment option rather than a regular dietary technique. It excludes sugar, gluten, alcohol, dairy products and artificially processed food while encouraging low-fat, low-sugar, non starchy food items. Some of the restrictions are explained below:
In a line, this diet reduces inflammations these food stuffs that are recommended help your gut and reduce the risk of candida.
What is Candida cleanse?
This is diet that is short-term and will reduce stress on your digestive tract and release the toxins present in your body. Even though many ways are present to cleanse your body these are two ways that are commonly used:
- Drinking fluids such as lemon water.
- Eating lot of vegetables along with protein throughout the day.
This cleanse as mentioned is a short-term process and shouldn’t go more than few days.
Foods you should avoid:
- Condiments- ketchup, soy sauce, mayonnaise.
- Dairy products- cheese, milk and cream
- Sugary and artificial sweetening substances- aspartame, honey, maple syrup and table sugar
- High sugar fruits- dates, bananas, raisins, mango
- Nitrates or sulphates
- Caffeine, coffee, soda, beer
- Peanuts, cashew and pistachios
- Gluten containing substances such as wheat and barley
- Some meat products such as deli meats and farm-raised fish.
Foods that you are allowed to eat:
- High quality protein food products such as chicken, eggs, salmon, turkey and sardines.
- Healthy fats- avocados, olives, unrefined coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil.
- Dairy products such as butter, ghee, plain yoghurt
- Almonds, coconut or flax seeds.
- Herbal teas, filtered water, water with lime or lemon
- Condiments- apple cider vinegar, coconut amino.
- Herbs: paprika, turmeric, rosemary, salt, thyme.
- Vegetables- asparagus, brussels sprout, celery, cucumber, eggplant, spinach, zucchini, tomato.
- Lemon, lime and berries can also be consumed.
It has a lot of benefits such as weight loss, heart health, gut function and reduced inflammation. It also removes sugary food which leads to weight gain, diabetes and heart disease.
A study of candida diet over mice showed that growth of candida increases with consumption of sugar. However, there are not much evidence of effectiveness available. On the other hand, if you are on a strict budget, it might be difficult to manage candida diet
This diet even though it has a lot of pros and cons it can be tried out by anyone. Even though there is no steady evidence , many recommendations by ones who tried it (even me) has been put forward. Check out if this really does the job for you.