Sometimes, a bit of stretching before sleep can calm a stressed mind. Stretches a sure-shot way of soothing the stiff muscles and aching joints.
Before you sleep, if your mind and body are not at rest, you might find trouble falling into slumber. Moreover, a stressed mind can also cause nightmares.
Stretchings can be gentle and helpful through regulating your body’s flexibility, breathing patterns, and helps you focus.
So let us today, check out some calming stretching exercise that can help improve your nightly slumber:
Stretching Your Neck
When you work at the computer, you might either be slumping or dropping your shoulders. Hence, this stretch practice can be beneficial before you hit the hay:
- Sit upright on a chair, keeping the neck straight.
- Now, place the right hand to your left ear/head, cupping it.
- Up next, lean your cupped left ear over to your left shoulder.
- Stay in this position for 5 seconds, and straighten your head.
- You can try this again, with the left palm on the right ear/head.
Slumping also causes your shoulders to ache as well. And when it comes to shoulders, you will feel that pain running down your spine, and back.
And this calls for overall stretches such as the Child’s Pose.
- Sit down on your knees, with the feet together behind your back.
- Inhale deeply and straighten up your back.
- Exhale, and lean your upper body to the front, tracing your torso over the yoga mat.
- Now, stretch out your upper body over the yoga mat, placing your hands ahead of you, pointing front.
- Extend your body in this position, and rest your forehead to the mat.
- You can stay in this position for 10 seconds, before recoiling up.
Knee to Chest Stretches
While most stretches target the upper body, the knee-to-chest stretching can help your legs feel more relaxed and flexible.
- Lie down on a mat, keeping your torso facing up.
- Inhale, and bring your right knee closer to your upper body.
- Embrace your knee and close the gap between it as your torse.
- Hold for about 20 seconds, inhaling and exhaling deeply.
- During this time, your left leg should be lying flat on the mat.
- Let go of your left knee and repeat the same with the right knee.
What is your pre-sleep mantra? Do share and let us know!